The refrigeration circuit

As in any refrigeration system evaporator, a refrigerant enters our Static Thermal Accumulator unit (Accumulateur Thermique Statique or ATS) in liquid form and leaves it as a vapour. The accumulator loading phase uses a compressor to circulate the refrigerant, resulting in the formation of ice on the evaporator fins. The refrigerant circuit does not operate during the release phase.

Boréales Energy’s ice accumulator offers two competitive advantages over existing refrigeration units:

  • 15-18% better energy efficiency due to its small pinch;
  • takes up two to three times less space.

Refrigerant cycle during the loading phase

The hydraulic circuit

Throughout the loading phase, the water contained in the tank freezes statically on the fins, as the refrigerant evaporates in the evaporators. By the time the loading phase is complete, 85% of the water has turned into ice, leaving 15% as liquid.

During the release phase, the chilled water passes through a small, closed hydraulic loop. This loop includes an exchanger with the external environment, delivering the refrigeration required for client processes (industry, farming, AC, etc.).

At the same time, the heat removed by this ‘client exchanger’ warms the chilled water by a few degrees. When it returns to the tank, the warmer water melts the ice, cooling as it does so. This process continues until there is no more ice.

Hydraulic cycle during the release phase:

Les caractéristiques techniques

Caractéristique Description
Puissance 7 kW th
Énergie stockée 56 kW th (environ 600kg de glace)
Durée de charge 8h
Durée de décharge 8h (peut-être déchargé en 3h pour 2,5x puissance nominale)
Tailles 1m x 1m x 1m  ou   0.5 m x 2 m x 1 m
Gamme température applicable 0°C à -40°C
Pression supportée Jusqu’à 60 bars
Surface d’échanges 50m2 pour un volume environ de 1m3